At Maitreyi, we are offering Ayurveda treatments including Panchakarma along with specialized Kerala treatments like Dhara, Pizhichil, Njavarakizhi, Abhyangam, Sirovasti, Kizhi, Kativasti etc.
A continuous stream of medicated warm oil / herbal decoctions / medicated milk/ buttermilk is poured onto the forehead. This procedure often induces a mental state similar to a trance, which creates profound relaxation of the mind and body. It deeply relaxes and revitalises the central nervous system. ‘Shirodhara’ gives the best results when taken after an Abhyanga.
Dhara is good for all ailments. Changing the liquid as per the Dosha condition, with necessary alterations in the procedure, is useful to alleviate any Dosha.
- Strengthens the Central nervous system
- Reduces stress, hyper tension and anxiety
- It is also prescribed in clinical conditions like epilepsy, diabetic neuropathy, paralysis etc
Pizhichil is a procedure developed in Kerala, which gives the effects of both Snehana and Swedana. Medicated oil is poured onto the body in continuous streams while being gently massaged by therapists. It is extremely soothing and relaxing. It acts as a free radical scavenger, toning, strengthening and deeply rejuvenating the whole body.
- Increases vitality and body immunity
- A soothing and relaxing procedure
- Prescribed in clinical conditions like paraplegia, hemiplegia and other Vata dominant ailments
A whole-body massage with specific herbal oils to nourish and revitalise the body tissues (Dhatus) and to allow the toxins to be removed from the cells. Abhyanga has much deeper and more far reaching effects than an ordinary massage using mineral oils and lotions. Abhyanga achieves deepest healing effects by naturally harmonising body, mind and spirit.
- Rejuvenates the whole body
- Beautifies the skin and delays ageing
- Reduces stress and induces sound sleep
In this process specially prepared warm medicated oil is kept over the lower back with herbal paste boundary. This treatment lasts for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Relieves pain, indicated in low back-ache, spinal disorders etc.
Herbal leaves / powders are applied to the whole body in boluses with hot medicated oils.
- Relieves pain and oedema
- Indicated in arthritis, spondylosis, low back ache etc.
- Good results in sports injury
A special kind of rice called njavara is cooked along with decoctions (usually made of sidaretna) and milk. This porridge is tied in a cloth and made into Kizhi/ Pottali (Bag or Poultice) and after dipping into a mixture of warm milk and decoctions, is massaged on the body.
- Navarakizhi is effective in vata vitiated disorders
- It is done especially for depletion or wasting of muscle tissue
- Good for different types of neurological disorders, disused atrophy, degenerative conditions of the joints, burning in the body, body weakness sciatica and convalescence in different diseases
- Blood born diseases
- Prevents premature ageing
This is a special type of treatment prevalent in Malabar (northern Kerala) for the diseases of the nervous system. In this procedure the whole body or any particular part, is made to perspire by means of the application of the Njavara rice, milk and decoction of Bala (sida rhombifolia).
- Stiffness of the joints
- Body ache
- Emaciation and general debility
- Nervous disorders (Hemiplegia, paraplegic, etc
‘Tarpanam’ is a very special treatment for eye ailments. A ridge is made with black gram powder around both eyes and is filled with medicated oil until the eyelashes are immersed in it. The patient is then asked to blink the eyes for a prescribed time and then the oil is drained.
- This therapy will have a cooling effect on irritated and stressed eyes. This relieves eyestrain, improves eyesight and other eye related problems
Karna Pooranam literally means filling the ears. It is a method of pouring medicated oil or any unctuous material in its pure form into the ear after it is made luke warm.
- Prevents the occurrence of Vata disorders
- Contraction of neck and jaw and occurrence of deafness
- Alleviates pain in the neck and relieves headache
Talapotichil (Head Covering)
Talai is head, potichil is covering. Talapotichil is a procedure in which the head is covered by a paste of various herbal drugs.
- Mainly used for stress, mental disorders, insomnia, epilepsy, anxiety, nervousness etc.
Sirovasti (Oil Cap)
Luke warm medicated oil is poured and held for a specific time in a cap fitted on the head of the patient. The temperature of the oil is maintained throughout the therapy.
- Facial paralysis, dryness of nostrils, mouth and throat, severe headaches and other diseases of the head
The therapeutic application of medicated steam directly on the body, so that the pores and channels of the body open up and release toxins.
This whole-body deep muscle massage with oil is a very relaxing technique. It gives all the benefits of Abhyanga and tones the muscles. Uzhichil regulates the flow of energy within the body and improves circulation.
It is a treatment for hair to maintain its naturalness. Provides a good relaxation for the head also.
Facial (Mukha Lepam)
Application of medicated paste on the face is called Mukhalepam. Mukhalepam is only done with Ayurvedic herbs and fruits. It alleviates the vitiated doshas, relieves the toxins and improves the complexion.